Border Mail Round 9 – Review

LOCKHART caused the boilover of the season when it stunned reigning premier Osborne by 11 points at Osborne on Saturday.

The final margin flattered Osborne as it trailed by just over four goals with only minutes left on the clock.

Coach Jake Phillips said Lockhart’s first victory of the season was reward for effort.

“The boys were fantastic,” Phillips said.

“We have been improving each week and hopefully we can finish the season off really strongly.”

Ruckman Zac Sheather was best afield while Jordan Harrington, Emery and Jamie Clough weren’t far behind.

Osborne lost Clancy Galvin with a serious leg injury in the third quarter with an ambulance called to the ground.

Marty Bahr and Duncan McMaster tried hard.

HOLBROOK took a giant stride towards playing finals for the first time since 2013 after bringing down Brock-Burrum by a point at Burrumbuttock on Saturday.

After trailing by 19 points at the final change, the Brookers kicked 3.3 to 0.1 to consolidate their spot in the top six at the halfway stage of the season.

“I think we had 22 tackles in the last quarter,” coach Matt Sharp said.

“We hunted the footy with a really ruthless attitude.

“It was pleasing to beat a top three side.”

Brock Knights dominated across half-back while Josh Jones, Sam Harris and Duncan Trethowan starred in the midfield.

Lachie Trethowan kicked the winning point with three minutes left on the clock.

Brock-Burrum ruckman Matt Seiter thrived in the conditions while Luke Brauer and Joe Boulton also played well.

CDHBU put a string of narrow losses behind them to defeat an inaccurate Culcairn by six points at Culcairn.

After losing to last year’s grand finalists Jindera and Osborne by a combined total of 23 points in their past two matches, the Power weren’t about to let another golden opportunity slip.

Thomas Webb kicked the matchwinning goal from 30 metres in the dying minutes to reward the efforts of Kane Mills, Brad Talbot and Shannon Broadbent.

Mills nullified Lion dangerman Jamie Robbins after half-time and Broadbent kicked three telling goals.

Andrew Phibbs and Liam Butler also played well in a fiery contest.

Both sides finished without any fit players on the bench with Power coach Mick Collins unable to take the field after half-time due to a back injury.

Culcairn were dealt a blow before the match when classy midfielder Dane Hallinan was injured in the warm-up.

“We have come out on the losing side in a couple of tight games this season so it was good to win one,” Collins said.

“We were only 14 points down at half-time when we should have been 36 as we just capitulated in the second quarter.”

Jesse Sutherland, Tim Hallinan and Moses Baleidrokadroka were solid for Culcairn.

Rand-Walbundrie-Walla turned in their best performance of the season to defeat Howlong by 45 points at Walbundrie.

The Giants kicked the opening seven goals with defenders Tom Simmons, Luke Emmerton and Tom Plunkett in fine form.

Howlong midfielder Steve Jolliffe racked up 40-plus possessions for the Spiders.

Jindera accounted for Billabong Crows and Henty beat Murray Magpies.