Lions roar no contest for Bulldogs bite in Hume league final

From the Eastern Riverina Chronicle

JINDERA has given itself another tilt at the Hume Football League favorites Osborne in this week’s grand finale, after beating Culcairn by 33 points at Walbundrie.

The Bulldogs booted five goals to nothing in the third with Tom Weldon and Julian Hayes playing a big part in the game breaking effort.

Jindera will be attempting to win its first grand final since 2011 season when it beat the Jarrod Twitt coached Holbrook.

Weldon played a huge role in shutting down Culcairn star midfielder Jye Shields, while Matt Osborne kept Lions leading goal kicker John Robbins to just two goals.

Jacob Millar and Mick Galvin also did excellent shut down roles on Trent Peryzk and Peter Cook respectively.

The Bulldogs have pace to burn and unleashed their full barrage during the third stanza with Dylan Pettingill and Sam Crawshaw showing the way.

Jindera ruck combination of Mitch Lawrence and Michael D’Arcy proved too big a task for a brave performance from Lions’ Ian McGillvray.

Jindera, who have all year relied on an even spread of goal kickers, did the same on Saturday with five players all booting two each.

Jindera look certain to regain star midfielder Sam Myors for the grand final, while veteran Mick Blomley will be better for the run.

Culcairn had good players in Joel Merkel, Jesse Sutherland and coach Brendan Way, but without suspended duo, Dane Hallinan and Tim Haines, it was always going to stretch the depth.

The missed an opportunity in the first quarter when with the advantage of a breeze the converted just two goals from seven attempts, with Cook hitting the post twice.


JINDERA completed a good day out with its reserve grade side defeating the highly fancied Brock Burrum in a barnstorming finish.

Trailing by 41 points at half-time and still 38 at three quarter time, the Bulldogs cut loose in an amazing comeback win.

Led by Chris Galvin who booted five goals, including three in the final term they kicked seven straight goals to stun the Saints by three points.


LOCKHART pulled off an upset win over old rivals Osborne when they prevailed by 12 points. The Demons finished the season in fifth place after round 18.

Osborne who had lost only one game during the season had no answer to the energetic Demons who have won three straight finals matches.

Lockhart’s Jacob Harangozo was awarded best on ground in what was a great team effort. Clancy Galvin played a terrific game for Osborne.


HOLBROOK also made it three straight finals victories with a convincing win over Henty in the under 14s preliminary final by 13 points.

Holbrook made a great start to the game with four first quarter goals. Fletcher Parker, Braydon Eddy and Ewan Mackinlay stood out for Holbrook.

Bailey Armstrong was outstanding for Henty, with good support from Will Male and Charlie Doig.

Holbrook now take on Osborne in the grand final.