Border Mail Round 3 – Review – 2019

Henty wore black armbands after Kilo passed away last week.

His funeral will be held on Monday.

Kicking against the wind in the last-quarter the Swampies clung to a five point lead.

Despite Culcairn attacking for most of the quarter, the home side was able to hold their nerve and deny the visitors to eventually win 10.8 (68) to 9.11 (65).

Joel Price, who coached from the sidelines, was full of praise for his charges, especially his defence who stood tall under immense pressure in the final term.

“It was a huge win for us,” Price said.

“We had a disappointing last-quarter against Osborne two weeks ago and worked hard on the track with a lot of running and ball work under pressure.

“I think that last-quarter when Culcairn really challenged us, we were able to withstand the pressure and our hard work paid dividends.”

Young defender Tyson Muller earned special praise from Price after he was handed the unenviable task of playing on star Lions recruit Adam Prior.

Muller was outstanding restricting Prior to one goal although the Lions’ spearhead missed several opportunities he would normally kick.

Culcairn did most of the attacking in the first 15-minutes of the final term but couldn’t land the knock out blow, kicking a succession of behinds.

Tim Haines put the Lions three points in front with less than 10 minutes to play when he kicked the visitors only goal of the final term.

But Damian Cupido got the quick reply after Jared Brennan won the clearance and the burly forward booted his fourth to restore a three point lead.

Henty defended valiantly in the dying minutes to hang on for a thrilling three point win.

Brennan was outstanding for the victors, especially in the first-term when he racked-up over a dozen disposals.

Harry Nunn shaded Brennan for best-on-ground honours and also bobbed-up with a crucial goal.

Small forward Kim Kantilla also hurt the Lions with three goals, and was especially lively in the third-term with two clever crumbing goals.

Culcairn was best served by Trent Logue, who was a tower of strength across half-back, dragging down several timely marks.

Ben Gould and Jye Shields also worked tirelessly for the visitors.

“‘Garlo’ was the only player who could kick a goal late,” coach Kade Stevens said.

“It was a grind all day.

“We got blown away in the first quarter when they played really well and we won the next three quarters.”

Youngster Mitch Reilly, Joe Boulton and Mitch Koschitzke played well for the Saints while Andrew Dess booted four goals for Holbrook and Cooper Walsh contested every issue.

Howlong kept its undefeated record intact with a six-point win over Lockhart, Rand-Walbundrie-Walla scored a big win over CDHBU, Billabong Crows hammered Murray Magpies and Osborne accounted for Jindera.